Saturday, March 23, 2013

Bosu, Rubber Balls and Bullshit

Every time I see a trainer have one of their clients do "functional training" by doing 1/4 squats on a bosu  or some weird balancing act on a big rubber ball I throw up a little in my mouth. I have never seen someone balance on a rubber ball to get a heavy box off the shelf at the supermarket. I have never seen anyone stand on a bosu and do 1/4 squats or tiny little dumb bell curls. It just doesn't happen. The first thing I think when I see a trainer do these things is "what a tool." So get it together. I think it was Dan John who said the foundation of any fitness regimen should be: pick up heavy stuff, carry it across the room and put it on a shelf. Dead Lifts, Farmer's walks and Presses will get you about as functional as you'll ever need to be.

SATURDAY'S WORKOUT
FS (flexible steel)/KB circuit 5 ea @ 12k/TGU 1 ea side @ 12k/Ab wheel starting at full ext. and coming up and going back down slow and controlled.

Goblet Squats 5 x 5 @ 16k
getting much better at controlling the down portion and exploding up. Another couple of months on this and then back to back squats.

No comments:

Post a Comment